PokerStars - Phil Hellmuth, the Poker Brat

A 24-year-old kid with the dream to win all the Poker matches with the help of his brilliant math skills and his memory, he wanted to be one of the members in the list of top Poker players of the world started out as a world champion in the year 1989 defeating Johnny Chan. He’s none other than Phil Hellmuth.


Source: Wikipedia

Today he sits atop with his name on the 14th place in the list of top Poker experts, way ahead of Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey, and Johnny- the champ.

In an interview Phil said, “I thought I was the best Texas Hold'em poker player in the world by far, I was doing things they'd never done before, using a different style and making small-size bluffs instead of bigger bluffs. I protected my stack. I'd be willing to risk 10% of my chips on any crazy gamble, but I always protected the 90% and put myself in amazing positions”.

When he was competing with all the other players he realized that Chan used to go down and win 3-3 games in a row which would’ve made him a world champ easily. But, he wanted to be that one, Phil says and he stood in Chan’s way, taking himself ahead of all the other experts.

Chan during this time used to play like a pro. One incident he narrated talking about his game with Chan. He quotes, ‘I think Johnny was frustrated playing small-ball with me. Four hands before the final hand, I raised with and I'll always remember that because he went broke on. I made it 35,000 to go and he raised to 130,000 more. It's a huge raise, which today's generation think is bad – next year they'll think it’s good somehow – but even though I thought I probably have the best hand, I laid it down. Four hands later, I looked down at two black nines and saw the writing on the wall. I made it 35,000, he made it 130,000 more and right away I moved all-in’

Phil says he used to be too nervous before a match and had the fear of losing out. But he always convinced himself that some external magic would work out for him and he’d win. And later he ended up winning most of the games played that year dominating the entire market. 

Now, Phil is no more an up-and-coming player. He's now a figurehead for the success of young poker players who are more than eager to reach the top. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to join The Spartan Poker

Cool Poker Tricks to Try at the Table